Thursday, February 19, 2009

Last Night's Adventure

Okay, it wasn't really an adventure....just something a little out of the ordinary.

When I got home from work, I noticed the neighbors across the street were outside and there was a black lab running around their yard. They yelled over and asked if it was our dog. To be honest, from across the street, the dog really did look like Callie. It was the same size/build, and of course, it was a black lab. But I thought to myself, how did Callie get out?? We keep the dogs in the house all day long and even if she did get out in the morning, A) Randy would have called or emailed me to let me know they dogs got out and 2) Cooper would have been with her, which he was not.

I walked over to where my neighbors where and yelled "Callie!" but the dog didn't come to me. Then I noticed the dog wasn't wearing a collar...and then I noticed that this dog was a boy and not a girl. Nope, not my dog. There is a house back behind my neighbors across the street that have a black lab because I've seen it in their yard when I'm out running, so I assumed it was their dog. I told my neighbors it probably belonged to those people.

Well, I went inside and went about my business. I let my dogs out and started fixing dinner. I looked out the window shortly and noticed that the stray lab had jumped our fence and was in my back yard playing with my lab and golden retriever. They looked like they were having fun, so I let them be. I'd rather this dog be safe in my back yard than running around loose and risking being hit by a car. I figured once Randy got home, I would drive over to the house that owns the lab and let them know he was in our yard.

As the dogs kept playing, I noticed the stray lab humping my golden (who is also a male). Now, Cooper is the most submissive dog in the world. He even lets Callie hump him and typically humping is a sign of dominance. But....it wasn't long before I noticed that the stray lab had his red rocket out for the world to see. Sick. So I went ahead and brought my dogs in. They were soaking wet from the stray lab's drool. Stray Lab was obviously going through puberty.

Well, Stray Lab continued to sit on my back porch and whine. Randy got home and I left to go tell the owner of Stray Lab that he was in our yard. Well, the neighbors that I believed Stray Lab belonged to answered the door....with their black lab in tow. So Stray Lab obviously didn't belong to them. I asked if they knew of anyone else in the neighborhood that owned a black lab and they said no. So.....we were stuck with Stray Lab.

Randy let Stray Lab out of our yard so he could try to find his way back home, but he ended up back in our yard. It started getting dark out and I really didn't want a black dog running around the neighborhood after dark cuz I didn't want him to get hit by a car. We decided to just let him stay in the yard until we could figure out what to do with him.

Well, when Rylie and I got home from gymnastics, Randy informed me that Stray Lab had obviously not eaten in days. Randy fed him and he ended up eating 4 bowls of food!! Poor guy! We ended up letting him sleep in our garage last night since it got down below freezing. He was really good - he never barked or whined, which is surprising considering he was in an unfamiliar environment.

Anyway, I think Randy is going to take him today to see if he is micro chipped. I'm really hoping he is, cuz I really want him to get returned to his home...if he has one. Otherwise, we'll probably end up taking him to the Parkville Animal Shelter. How ironic that we just adopted Callie from that shelter just a month ago and now we'll be taking a black lab to that shelter to be adopted. They are a no-kill shelter tho, so hopefully he'll find a good home if that's where he ends up.

Side note, since I'm talking about my dogs, my Coop Doggy Dogg turns 8 years old one week from today! I can't believe I've had him for almost 8 years!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...black labs run amuck in your area of the world, huh? Stray dogs make me so nervous...not because I'm scared of them but because I never know what to do with them. I'm always afraid that they live literally right around the corner and if I take them to a shelter I'm taking them a lot further away from their home. Luckily all the ones I've ever helped have had phone numbers on their tags so I could call the owner.

    I'm glad to hear there's a no-kill shelter for you to take him too!

    ReplyDelete